HOME

Home

LOMONOSOV PORCELAIN
St.Petersburg's first porcelain factory, founded in 1744 by decree of the Russian Queen Yelizaveta, daughter of Peter 1,  omonosov Porcelain was 'to serve the cause of national industry and art.' The factory's ties to the Russian Royal Family implied very high requirements for porcelain, positioning it as an important art form. The very word  porcelain':Further>>
GZHEL PORCELAIN
Gzhel is the name of a major ceramics center situated some fifty kilometers southeast of Moscow. The village of Gzhel s  mentioned for the first time in the fourteenth century in the testament of Ivan Kalita the Moneybag, the Grand Prince of Muscovy. Otherwise historical chronicles note that the dominant pursuit of the local population was the making of  ottery:Further>>
MSTERA, lacquer papier-mache miniatures.
Mstera is a unique place in the eastern Vladimir Region. Since the 17th century, it has been the Mecca of Russia's icon  ainting and other arts and crafts. Today, Mstera is famous for its lacquer papier-mache miniatures. The style of Mstera also derives from the traditions of: Further>>
KHOLUI, lacquer papier-mache miniatures.
Kholui is among the most ancient villages in the Vladimir-Suzdal area. Legend has it that arts and crafts were practiced in these parts from as early as the time of the Tatar-Mongol invasion. In the 1230-40s the highly developed urban culture of Northeastern Russia was almost wiped out by the Tatar-Mongol hordes. The local people fled to remote marshlands that were inaccessible to the Tatar cavalry. Kholui may well have been such a place, its name meaning: Further>>
PALEKH, lacquer papier-mache miniatures.
Palekh icon-painters were famous for their great skills and craftsmanship since the 18th century. Uncommon icons and sacred images of exquisite colour scheme, in a very special manner with egg yolk tempera, were often decorated
with painting in gold: Further>>
FEDOSKINO, lacquer papier-mache miniatures.
By the 18th century lacquer snuffboxes decorated with miniatures and made in England, France and Germany had become fashionable. One of the greatest European centers for such items was Johann Stobwasser's manufactory in
Braunschweig. In 1795 the Russian merchant Pyotr Korobov visited the Braunschweig works and his enterprising mind quickly grasped that cheap and simple articles could be mass-produced using this very durable combination
of materials. Within a year he had opened his own factory on the outskirts of Fedoskino. At first it employed just over twenty people. It made most of its money from manufacturing the varnished peaks of military caps and
helmets. However, the factory also became famous for its simple, most often round: Further>>
Here you will find many souvenirs and gifts.
AMBER
Amber is a petrified tar of trees which grew over twenty-thirty million years ago and now are buried on the bottom of the sea. The findings of the archaeological excavations show that amber was used to make jewelry already 4 thousand years ago. Baltic amber was decorating the crown of Egyptian pharaoh Tutanhamon. Gomer in his Odyssy also mentioned: Further>>
ZHOSTOVO
Zhostovo settlement, which is located in Mytishchi District Of Moscow Region, is the center of a prominent Russian folk craft. Founded in 1825, it was based on manufacture of lacquer articles Made of papier-mache, and
lacquer trays with subject or floral painting, Made of metal: Further>>

View currently basket contents
Buy all currently selected goods
Under construction
Under construction

Search

Visa
MasterCard
Discover
AmericanExpress

Christmas Ornaments, Easter souvenirs, Russian porcelain. All assortment, Wholesale prices
Russian Classics company offers souvenirs made from natural timber with
hand painting on any theme
Christmas Ornaments, Easter Eggs, Souvenirs ornaments, including customized design according to your pattern. Very interesting proposal for wholesale purchasers.
P
rice $7.00-$7.50 More details... .

 
All products of "Gzhel " Association, Hand Painted Porcelain
Manufacturer displays following trade mark:
Beware of counterfeits!

Tableware
Gzhel Company
Gzhel is the name of a major ceramics center situated some fifty kilometers southeast of Moscow. The village of Gzhel is mentioned for the first time in the fourteenth century in the testament of Ivan Kalita the Moneybag, the Grand Prince of Muscovy. Otherwise historical chronicles note that the dominant pursuit of the local population was the making of pottery, for which reason the very name of Gzhel derives in all likelihood from the Russian verb zhech which means burn in the sense of firing clay. Though the secrets of the craft were handed down from generation to generation long before, Gzhel really rose to fame as a large center of ceramics in the eighteenth century when local potters mastered the making of majolica or majolica tin-glazed earthenware, which owes

this Italian Vessel for kvass (traditional russian soft drink made from rye bread). Majolika. 18th century.
sonbriguet to the island of Majorca, where these ceramic wares were made. Gzhel craftsmen first By the 1830s-40s most of Russian porce- lain was produced in Gzhel. Gzhel ware became increasingly popular; it was soon sold not only in Russia, but also abroad. By the middle of the 19th century Gzhel became the principal pottery supplier of the country.


Old factory building. The photograph features the working conditions of Russian masters in the 19th century.

The history of Gzhel dates back to old times and its will have a long life. The famous folk craft is gathering new force. The factory's product range includes: Vases, tea and coffee services, tableware sets and sculptured items.
HIS RINGING FAIRYTALE GZHEL

Candlesticks

Miniature

Vases

Jugs



| Lomonosov porcelain | Gzhel pocelain | Mstera | Kholui | Palekh | Fedoskino | Souvenirs | Amber | Zhostovo |

| Home | View basket | Order | Wholesale | Info | Search |

Russian classics
Phone (703) 317-1755; Fax (703) 317-1789
E-mail: mail@russian-classics.com